This is my first tutorial- sooo exciting! Hopefully you will all enjoy making cute things as much as I have. Just leave a comment if you get stuck and hopefully I can clarify. You can find this and all future tutorials under the tutorial tab at the top of the page. happy sewing!
- 1/3 yard fabric for body
- 1/4 yard fabric for yoke
- 24″ of 1/4″ elastic
- 3 snaps (sew on or hammer on)
1. Print out the pattern (CLICK HERE) and size it. This pattern fits my chunky 7 month old. I’ve found the best way to adjust patterns is to hold it up to a similar outfit that fits your baby. (*I tweaked the pattern a bit so don’t worry if your pieces look a bit different than the picture)
6. Okay now for the back piece. Measure your baby around the chest and measure the front half of the romper. Cut your elastic piece so that it’s length + the front half of the romper will fit around your baby. Fold the top of the romper over to the backside and stitch the elastic right on top with a zig zag stitch. The fabric will gather as you go. Make sure you stretch the elastic all the way to the end- you may want to tack it in place or pin it down before you start. The elastic will cover up the raw edge of your romper and do all of the gathering for you- nifty right?!
See what I mean? Ok- to make the strap I used a 1×24″ piece of fabric. Fold it in half right sides together and stitch along the side and across one end. Trim your edges and then turn it right side out. The trick to this is to use a tiny crochet hook, pencil, etc. Take the end you stitched shut and shove it into the tube with your crochet hook. Keep on pushing and before you know it the whole thing will be right side out. (sorry about the terrible pic. but it should give you the basic idea).
12. Fold your little snap section over twice, so that you have a finished edge and it’s in place on the wrong side of the romper. Top stitch it down leaving enough room for some snaps.
13. Add your snaps and you’re done- hooray!
Latest posts by Amy (see all)
- Snow Day Hat & Mittens one day sale! – December 18, 2014
- Toddler Apron & Toy Oven Mitt Free Pattern – December 16, 2014
- 1 day sale on the Comfy Cozy Robe & Slippers Patterns! – December 11, 2014