Cupcake Matching Game

When I was little my mom made us a matching game with pom-poms and a muffin tin. I decided to go from there and made some yummy little cupcakes. Don’t you want to gobble them up?

Here’s what you need:
  • Muffin Tin- I got mine at the dollar store
  • Fabric- 6 different frosting colors and 1 cake
  • Paint- to match your fabric
  • Paintbrush- ignore that foam brush in the pic. I found a regular one works best
  • Stuffing- sorry forgot to get that in the picture:)
  • Pattern- print that out here (*I used 1/4″ seam allowances)

1. Cut out your pieces. You can save a lot of time by stacking the fabric and cutting out multiple pieces at a time
2. Gather the cupcake top by putting in a row of basting stitches all the way around and then cinching up the ends

3. Sew the bottom of your cupcake to the side piece (*this is the trickiest part, so stick with me). You need to match up the rounded portion of the bottom piece with the small curve of the side. I found it was easiest to not use pins and just adjust as I sewed along (when the needle is down you can lift the presser foot and then wiggle your fabric back into place). Overlap the 2 bottom pieces slightly.

When you’re done- it should look like this:
4. Now line up the sides with the fabric right sides together and stitch it shut. This is what you should have now:
5. Now we’re going to frost our cupcakes:) Slide the frosting into your completed cupcake, so the right sides are together. Pin in place and stitch together.

6. Turn it right side out and then stuff your cupcake. When it’s nice and fluffy hand sew the opening shut.

Yuuummm- doesn’t it look good:)

7. Paint your muffin tin to match your cupcakes. This will take a few coats and a bit of patience. If you want you could save a bit of time and just paint the bottom- trust me that would be a lot easier and possibly only take 1 coat. ***Update! Try mod podging matching fabrics scraps to the bottom. Or cardstock

Finished! The perfect set for your little one to bake with and learn a few colors.

OK… little miss doesn’t quite know her colors yet, but she likes banging the pan around and flinging cupcakes across the room:)
The following two tabs change content below.

Amy is the founder and owner of Peek-a-Boo Pattern shop. She is a wife and mother to 3 children. Amy loves to sew, read and spend time outdoors.

Latest posts by Amy (see all)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. 49

says

I just found this tutorial. This is awesome! My little girls LOVE cupcakes. This would be such a fun and simple game for them to play. Thank you for sharing!

2. 51

says

Visiting from the hop at “Lamb Around” — What a whimsical, beautiful and creative project. I love the way you expanded on the game your mom designed in your childhood and added such charm and sweetness. Absolutely love it! Jenn/Rook No. 17

3. 57

says

This is really cute. I wish I had a little girlie to make this for. So sweet. Clicked to this from Crafting with the Stars. I just entered too! Fingers Crossed!!!

Just Another Day in Paradise

4. 58

says

Building on Jen’s suggestion to use scrapbook paper on the bottoms of the tin, I’m gluing round scraps of fabric that match the muffin tops. I tried painting with acrylic, but it scratched off and I worried about flakes getting in someone’s mouth.

5. 59

says

These are really cute! You did a great job making the cupcakes! I only wish things that I make would come out that good. This is the first time I’ve seen your blog. I’ll have to look at your other posts.

6. 60

says

oh wow. We’re celebrating my daughter’s 1st this coming Sunday. I’m determined to make this by then!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this idea!!!!!!!!!!!
    Amy

7. 72

says

What a cute photo! No kids here, but I love your adorable little cupcakes anyway :)
    I found this project through Tatertots and Jello. If you have a free moment, I have a new weekly (I hope!) Linky on my blog called Not “Baaad” Sundays with LambAround. I’d love for you to post this :)

8. 77

says

Ooh, I love this! What a perfect way to use up some scraps. I will definitely be making one of these for my little man.

Found you on Ucreate. Happy weekend!

9. 86

says

Thanks for joining our blog hop over at Sassy Sites! There are some amazing blogs out there, and you are definitely one of them! I’m a follower of yours too! Happy Friday! xoxo

Marni @ Sassy Sites!

10. 89

says

Great idea! My mom made a muffin tin like this when I was little but we matched up pom poms and buttons which are not nearly as cool as cupcakes.