Baby Jar Advent Christmas Tree

Do you have tons of baby food jars lying around? I do, so I decided to make an advent calendar. And… it’s in the shape of a Christmas tree:)
Materials:
  • 24 baby food jars
  • Ornaments (50% of at Hobby Lobby right now. I got 24 for $3)
  • Beads to hang ornaments on (I cut up a mini garland- again… Hobby Lobby 50% off)
  • Assorted green & brown paper
  • Assorted number decals
  • Paint
  • Mod Podge
  • Hot glue gun
  • Cardboard
1. Paint your jars and lids. 21 green and 3 brown. I did this with the lids off, so the rim of the jar would get painted too. I used acrylic and it took a couple coats. Spray paint may be easier?? After the paint was dry I went over the jars with a coat of Mod Podge to add a little shine. Don’t worry about the lids- we’ll get them later
2. Cut out 21 green circles and 3 brown. You could use solid or patterned paper- or a mixture:) I used a 2″ circle punch and it was just a tiny bit too big, but I was ok with that. Arrange your circles in a tree shape and apply your numbers. I used a variety of stickers and cut some numbers out on my cricut (yes… I noticed I did 20 twice and I fixed it)
3. Mod Podge your paper circles onto the lids. Go ahead and coat the lid rim while you’re at it to give it a nice gloss
4. Hot glue a little bead at the top of each lid, so you have something to hang the ornament on. Screw your lids on just enough to keep them on and then arrange your jars into a tree shape. Hot glue together starting at the bottom. To make sure it was level I lined up the bottom 3 jars against a box.
***Update! My tree survived last year just fine but storage didn’t treat it too well. To make it a bit more sturdy I cut out a piece of cardboard slightly smaller than my finished tree shape and hot glued the cardboard to the backside of the jars. Makes a big difference!
5. Wrap each ornament in tissue paper and fill the jars. I did presents and a rocking horse for the bottom 3 since they are under the tree and a star at the top.
Aren’t you excited for December?!

I wish I was 8 again:) I know I would’ve loved this! Maybe next year little miss will be ready to hang the ornaments instead of eating them…

Speaking of Christmas- make sure you head over to Crafting with the Stars and check out the projects for the final round. Amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The following two tabs change content below.
Amy is the founder and owner of Peek-a-Boo Pattern shop. She is a wife and mother to 3 children. Amy loves to sew, read and spend time outdoors.

Latest posts by Amy (see all)

Comments

1. 19

says

I started making this….. Painting the jars was difficult. I used acrylic paint and it took about 4 coats, same for the lids. I then glued them together using an epoxy type of glue because I’ve not had great success with hot glue holding very well. After letting the glue cure over night, I came to realize I couldn’t get a decent grip on the lids to open them because the jars were too close together. Not sure what I am gonna do with this jar tree now. I haven’t hot glued the beads on so the ornaments can hang from it because I have been discouraged because of not being able to open the jars. No, they aren’t glued to the jar. I made sure everything was dry before putting the lids on and gluing the jars together.

2. 20

Anonymous says

I just made this for my kiddos. I used the E600 and pushed a short string of lights between all the jars. I left the jar unpainted (lazy) and filled them with colored tissue paper and a note inside for a fun activity. Thanks so much for the idea! Everyone loves it!!

3. 21

says

I made a Halloween tree last year using baby food jars. Since there were lights in the jars, hot glue wouldnot work, but a glass glue or E6000 works really well. There were only 2 jars on the bottom and 15 jars for the tree. The bottom 2 jars were glued to an oval piece of wood from the dollar store. It held up really well in storage.

Anyway, I am so glad you re-posted this advent calendar! I have been wanting to make one for a long time but don’t like the ones in the stores and to make one while spending so much time and money on it I could have just bought one. I have an apple box full of baby food jars and lids that I have been saving for over a year. The only thing I need to buy is the ornaments to hang on the jars. I have everything else.

4. 22

says

I didn’t prepare the jars and lids but I probably should have- it was a bit difficult to paint. One alternative that I’ve seen done is to paint the inside of the jars instead.

I think you could glue the paper on with something other than mod podge- I’m not familiar with puzzle glue but I’m sure it would work just fine.

My tree has 3 jars across the bottom and it stands up pretty well but if you want it to be extra sturdy you could mount it on something or rearrange the jars.

5. 23

Rochelle says

I’m making a couple of these for the Grandma’s this year. I won’t have enough for one for my husband so I’ll use match boxes for his. I’m trying to work out the logistics of doing a heart shaped one for him for Valentines day too, but I still haven’t figured out how to make a heart with 14 jars, 25 make a great heart but that’s WAAAAY to many lol.

I have a question for you though, how well does this stand up, I saw another tree design using 25 jars and they turned the last 4 into a stem, it looked like this. O
    O O
    O O O
    O O O O
    O O O O O
    O O O O O O
    O O
    O O

I can’t see how it would stand on two jars, Yours seems to make alot more sense though.

6. 25

says

I was looking for things to make for my cousins who are expecting (yes, more than one!). I love advent calendars, too. I think that I would make this and put a little gift in each jar. This way my niece and nephew would love opening the jars to see what’s inside each day. Terrific idea!

7. 26

says

I was supposed to be looking for a pattern or print out for my kids’ birthday party, using baby food jars for the party favors. I stumbled on this and I am SO excited. I LOVE advent calendars. I’m going to make it for my family this year. We just got a Hobby Lobby near by. :)

8. 31

says

How cute! I have tons of baby food jars and lids…Now I know a great thing to do with them.

Thanks for the kind comment you left on my blog. The measurement chart is one I made. It is just what I have found to work best. I created it from the measurements I use to make my onesie and t-shirt dresses and modified it for a skirt.

9. 33

says

What a great idea! I’m seriously into baby food jar crafts and this is a great one! If you’d like, you can see some of my ideas here..[url]http://www.the30girl.com/2010/05/baby-food-jar-crafts.html[/url]. Thanks for sharing!