“In the leafy treetops, the birds sing Good Morning”
I wanted little miss to have a bright and cheerful nursery. Nothing seems more cheerful to me than leafy treetops, sunshine, and birds!
We’re renting so paint was not an option and vinyl was too pricey for our budget. The secret to her leafy canopy??? Fabric!
With 2 yards of burlap and some fabric scraps from my stash I created her a leafy tree filled with birds and a squirrel. Above her crib is a happy collection of birds and an owl perched on a wire. A nice cheery sun finishes the nursery. I couldn’t be happier!
Want to make your own?
1. Cut out your pieces. I made a pattern out of newspaper for the tree, but you could just go for it. I used 2 yards of burlap for the tree and fabric scraps for my birds. I used corduroy for the squirrel and I love that he’s textured!
2. Add 1 TB cornstarch to 1 cup water. Stir until the cornstarch is completely dissolved and then boil until it turns opaque and about the consistency of shampoo.
3. Apply to the wall by brushing onto the back of the fabric and then smoothing onto the wall. The burlap was pretty heavy so I tacked portions to the wall and had to hold individual branches in place while they dried enough to stick- having 2 people might be helpful.
***We have glossy paint on our walls and everything peels right off, but make sure you test this somewhere inconspicuous first.
The following two tabs change content below.
Owner at Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop
Amy is the founder and owner of Peek-a-Boo Pattern shop. She is a wife and mother to 3 children. Amy loves to sew, read and spend time outdoors.
Latest posts by Amy (see all)
- Snow Day Hat & Mittens one day sale! – December 18, 2014
- Toddler Apron & Toy Oven Mitt Free Pattern – December 16, 2014
- 1 day sale on the Comfy Cozy Robe & Slippers Patterns! – December 11, 2014