Easter is just around the corner…
You know your little girl needs this dress:)
With a happy little flower and darling petal top
And of course some lovely little bows in back
This was actually for a baby shower gift.
Little miss will be wearing her bubble skirt
Ready to get started? I promise you can do it!
- 1/2 yardish fabric: I used seersucker. Stripes are really what makes this dress adorable
- Bias Tape
- Scrap of green fabric for leaves
1. Print out your pattern and cut the pieces. This pattern is for a 0-3 mos. dress size, so just enlarge as needed. (***click on the picture and then print it so it fills your whole sheet of paper). Make sure the stripes on the petals and skirt are vertical. for the rest of the pieces you’ll want horizontal stripes.
2. With right sides together (RST) sew 2 large petals together around the outer curved edge. Turn right side out and then gather the bottom. Repeat until you have 6 large petals
3. Sew the skirt together at the side seams. Cut the back skirt piece in half and sew it back up 1/2 way.
4. To make your straps fold the piece in half, sew up 1 short end and the long end, turn right side out and then topstitch around the sides.
5. Sew up the side seams of the hem piece and with RST together attach it to the bottom of the skirt.
6. Fold the hem over to the inside of the skirt, tuck in the raw edges and then topstitch all the way around to finish the hem.
7. Gather the top of the skirt so it’s the same length as the bodice.
8. Line up your petals across the center of the bodice, so that they overlap slightly. For this size they should measure 9″ from end to end- for other sizes they should measure the same as 1/2 of the total bodice length. Sew the petals in place
9. With RST sew the bodice to the skirt.
10. Fold the edges over twice and stitch down to finish the raw edges in the back of the skirt.
11. To create the bows and hide the seams wrap each seam in bias tape and stitch along the edge. Leave a nice long tail on each end and then stitch the bias tape shut to make the bows. Once both ties are in place stitch over them several times at the skirt edge to keep them in place. Tuck your straps under the bias tape and sew down.
12. Sew your 6 small petals together and turn right side out. Arrange them in a circle and them sew together using a basting stitch
12. Pull on the ends to gather the flower together.
13. Add a button and some leaves and sew to the dress. You may need to tack the petals to the straps with a couple quick hand stitches.
Turns out there’s a Simplicity pattern that’s very similar to this- wow was I surprised! I can assure you that this dress is put together quite differently b/c I made up the tutorial based on a photo on Nordstrom’s website. Small world! At any rate- just wanted to let you know I’m not a pattern thief. Just a Nordstrom knock-off girl:)
The following two tabs change content below.
Owner at Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop
Amy is the founder and owner of Peek-a-Boo Pattern shop. She is a wife and mother to 3 children. Amy loves to sew, read and spend time outdoors.
Latest posts by Amy (see all)
- Snow Day Hat & Mittens one day sale! – December 18, 2014
- Toddler Apron & Toy Oven Mitt Free Pattern – December 16, 2014
- 1 day sale on the Comfy Cozy Robe & Slippers Patterns! – December 11, 2014