Keep those little legs snug and warm with a pair of scarf leggings!
These are super easy and turned out just as I envisioned- time to go shopping for some more scarves:)
You could also use a scarf to make baby legs, but…I really don’t like baby legs- they seem to always be falling off chubby little thighs and just aren’t quite warm enough. Nice for diaper changes but just not worth it.
If found this scarf at the the thrift store for $1 and decided it would make pretty adorable leggings. And they’re super warm too so I can let my little darling wear dresses even on cold days:)
We’re both pretty happy with them:)
Like the sweater dress? Tutorial here (yes we’re on our 2nd year of use- love that!)
Like the ear warmer? Tutorial here
Let’s get started!
1. Using a pair of leggings as a guide cut out 4 leg pieces. You don’t really need much of a seam allowance along the sides because scarves are really stretchy but you’ll want about 1.5″ up top and an extra .5″ or so at the bottom. For a 2T I ended up using my entire scarf- each leg piece ran the full width of the scarf at the widest portion of each piece.
2. Sew 2 leg pieces together (right sides together if your scarf has a right side) along the outer leg seam and the inseam. ***Sergers work well with knits but I didn’t want the seam to be itchy since these are snug fitting so I just used my regular machine and a narrow zig zag stitch to allow for a bit of stretch.
3. With right sides together slide 1 leg inside the other and sew up the crotch seam. I went over this twice to make sure the seam will hold up well.
4. To finish the waistband I just made a simple casing (need help? Check out the waistband here). I used my double needle for a professional finish. To hem the bottoms I just folded under and topstitched in place- nothing fancy
The following two tabs change content below.
Owner at Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop
Amy is the founder and owner of Peek-a-Boo Pattern shop. She is a wife and mother to 3 children. Amy loves to sew, read and spend time outdoors.
Latest posts by Amy (see all)
- Snow Day Hat & Mittens one day sale! – December 18, 2014
- Toddler Apron & Toy Oven Mitt Free Pattern – December 16, 2014
- 1 day sale on the Comfy Cozy Robe & Slippers Patterns! – December 11, 2014