The holidays can get a bit (or a lot…) busy so I wanted to come up with something cute and festive that doesn’t take a lot of time to make. How does 1/2 hour sound???
No joke. I whipped up this little outfit in no time and the entire outfit is made from my scrap stash. Double bonus!
I tried my best but my little model was mostly in the mood to ride her bike and twirl instead of let me take her picture. Sheesh…
One of my favorite parts about the top is the little peek of ric rac in the back. Double dose of cuteness!
Let’s get started!
- Ric Rac
- 1/4 yard fabric for skirt (for a 3t)
- 1/4 yard knit for waistband
1. For this skirt I did a yoga waistband which is super comfy and super quick. Decided on your finished waistband height and then multiply it by 4. Measure your child’s waist and subtract 3″. My waistband piece was about 9×16″. Sew the 2 short ends together to form a loop
2. Bring the bottom edge up so it covers your seam allowance and you now have a loop that is double thickness
3. Prep your skirt by sewing the 2 side seams together and finishing the bottom edge (I just serged). Gather the top of the skirt to a few inches bigger around than the waistband. My skirt pieces were 9″ tall and about 20″ wide
4. Stretch the waistband over the skirt and sew the raw edges of the waistband to the upper edge of the skirt using a serger or zig zag stitch. It needs to be able to stretch over your child’s hips. Flip that waistband up and you’re good to go! It can be worn tall and chunky or folded down
Let’s whip up a shirt!
1. Sew a length of ric rac onto your shirt starting where you want one mitten, going around the neck and ending where you want the 2nd mitten
2. Applique 2 mittens over the ric rac ends and you’re finished! I find it really helps to add some fusible interfacing to the inside of the shirt before sewing on your applique. Otherwise knits can be a bit tricky to work with.
Told you it was easy
The following two tabs change content below.
Owner at Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop
Amy is the founder and owner of Peek-a-Boo Pattern shop. She is a wife and mother to 3 children. Amy loves to sew, read and spend time outdoors.
Latest posts by Amy (see all)
- Snow Day Hat & Mittens one day sale! – December 18, 2014
- Toddler Apron & Toy Oven Mitt Free Pattern – December 16, 2014
- 1 day sale on the Comfy Cozy Robe & Slippers Patterns! – December 11, 2014