Ultimate Baby Bib Free Pattern

Today I’m sharing the Ultimate Baby Bib Free Pattern with you!

ultimate catch-all bib

The catch-all pocket in front sticks out to catch messes. The unique design will also hold liquids without leaking; bring on the soup, this bib can handle it!
IMG_7299

When mealtime is over it un-snaps so you can wipe it clean. No more food and junk hiding out in those corners!
IMG_7300

My 2 year old has put this to test and this one is toddler approved :) Comfortable to wear, does the job well and is easy to clean!
IMG_7316

Before we get started let’s talk about supplies :)

For the bib I used darling laminated cotton from Laminates

Laminated cotton is much easier to sew with and more comfortable to wear than oil cloth. It also comes in darling prints! Something I absolutely love about the Laminates shop is that you can buy your fabric in fat quarters which is perfect for smaller projects. You need one fat quarter for each side of the bib and you’ll have some leftover for another small project like a snack bag. I highly recommend using laminated cotton for both sides so it’s easy to wipe clean after each use. I normally just un-snap the bib and give the whole thing a quick rinse in the kitchen sink and let it dry in the dish drainer. Easy peasy! Here’s a few combinations I’m eyeing for future projects…
Catch All Bib

Laminates generously provided my fabric for this post but all opinions are my own. I really love this shop!

For this bib you’ll also need some snaps. KAM snaps are a great way to go for this project. I get all of mine from I Like Big Buttons (come back tomorrow for a giveaway!)
I Like Big Buttons!

Let’s get started!

1. Download your Ultimate Baby Bib Pattern from Craftsy. The pattern has a 1″ scale box for you to check that it printed correctly. As-is the bib is a good size for a 1-2 year old. If you’d like a bigger or smaller bib just print the pattern out at more or less than 100% scale.

2. Cut out 2 bib pieces (1 for the front and 1 for the back). With laminated cotton you want to avoid using pins as they leave holes in the fabric so use binder clips, paper clips, etc. instead. With right sides of the fabric together sew all the way around the bib with a 1/4″ seam allowance leaving a 3″ gap at the bottom. Clip into the seam allowance along the neckline and inward curve above the pocket. This will help it lay flat when you turn it right side out.
IMG_7262

3. Turn the bib right side out and smooth it out with your fingers. You might need to use a chopstick to push the tail ends all the way out. If you used regular fabric you can go ahead and press it flat. Tuck in the raw edges along the bottom and topstitch all the way around the bib.
IMG_7288

4. Now it’s time to add some snaps. The snap location is marked for you on the pattern piece. The 2 upper snaps should be installed with the cap on the right side of the fabric (the cow print) and the socket on the wrong side. The 2 lower snaps should be installed with the cap on the wrong side of the fabric and the stud on the right side of the fabric. You also need a snap to fasten the bib at the neckline. And that’s it!
IMG_7289

Here’s a quick run-down on how this works…

Fold the bottom edge of the bib upwards. Here we’re looking at it from the wrong side of the bib
IMG_7293

Then bring each corner in and snap it. See how the bib is angled upwards? This is what keeps it from leaking
IMG_7292

And from the right side you have a perfect catch-all pocket
IMG_7291

The following two tabs change content below.

Amy is the founder and owner of Peek-a-Boo Pattern shop. She is a wife and mother to 3 children. Amy loves to sew, read and spend time outdoors.

Latest posts by Amy (see all)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Lori says

Hello–thank you for offering the bib pattern with a pouch! I look forward to creating it. Could you please answer the following two questions:

What size are the snaps you recommend for the bibs? There are several sizes of snaps on “I love buttons.” Also, do you buy the laminated cotton that is laminated on front only? The ‘Laminates’ site offers several laminated cotton fabrics (front only, back only, & laminated– which I assume means both sides are laminated)?

2. Elaine Isaacs says

Well The great news is my First Grandson Carted james will be arrriving into this world the 15th ( 2 Days) and I know this is something I can make him. Thank you

3. says

Another brilliant idea! I definitely agree with you that laminated cotton is much easier to sew and more comfortable than oil cloth. I already did a testing between the two and I could say that laminated cotton is better than oil cloth. I love this pattern, it will contribute a lot of learning for all of the aspiring baby maker. Cute baby bibs and awesome style!

4. says

Alright lovely lady – I’m planning a crafty night with some girlfriends to teach a few of them to sew and make a bunch of these! Super fun – and I will blog about it when we make it happen!

I’ve never worked with laminated cotton – are there any tricks? Universal needle; does it feed under the presser foot okay or do you need tissue or something? I’m guessing ironing it is out – any general advice? Thanks for the all around awesomeness!

• Amy says

I just use my universal needle. Some tissue paper underneath can be helpful when you topstitch. I have a non-stick presser foot that I use instead and it works wonders :)

5. Julie hewitt says

This looks so practical. I have 2 great nieces, both under 6 months . Think I may do them one each as a pressie. What needle do you use on the machine?

6. Toni says

Love this idea. Made some of these when my kids were little, almost 50 years. I never thought of making the catcher this way though, I had to turn mine inside out. This will be sooooooo much easier. Several babies coming. Thanks.

7. Mairin says

Could you use PUL? I’ve never used laminated cotton or PUL but I was just gifted some PUL and am looking for projects for it…
    Also, do you just use a normal needle?

• Amy says

PUL is laminated on the underside so it will keep your kiddo dry and contain mess but it won’t necessarily wipe clean. I believe it is machine washable though :) I just use my universal needle

8. says

LOVE this pattern; thanks so much for posting! I’ve been having many issues with my nine month old twins (they are preemies, and quite tiny still) because I can’t get a bib that will do up tightly enough around their necks – right now food just falls down the neck hole and makes a hot mess out of their clothes. Going to give this a try – thank you!!

• Amy says

I hope this helps! This fits my 2 year old pretty well so you might just need to add an extra snap to snug it up along the neck

9. says

I LOVE this!!! I’ll be making these for gifts for sure! I just bought some acrylic-coated cotton from ikea – this will be the first project I tackle with it ;) um, also. I. Love. Kam. Snaps.